As the public becomes increasingly concerned about Coronavirus, many salons and Spas are taking action to reassure their guests about the proactive steps they take every day to keep both staff and clients safe. Others are looking down the road, starting to make plans for the economic impact that client cancellations or forced closings may impart.
At the Skincare Lounge SPA, we sent out emails to our clientele about the extra precautions and sanitation procedures we are taking at the SPA, by leveraging our community relationships to reassure the public the SPA is open for business. “ We have been in touch with blogs, papers, our Chamber of Commerce and the city of Philadelphia to get updates and to notify them that we are safe and we are open in an effort to protect client bookings and let the public know we are savvy, safe, responsible and conscientious.
In addition to updating the hand washing alerts throughout the SPA, we also sent a communication to our team outlining the enhanced safety procedures. The staff email states:
“Thankfully, although there is still much to learn about the Coronavirus, the CDC’s suggested protocols for addressing it are identical to those for reducing the spread of common cold and flu. Therefore, we are focusing on specific measures we can put in place to increase our efforts at virus prevention. Effective immediately, and until further notice, please follow these procedures:
All Staff :
- If you feel you could be potentially sick with fever, cold or flu symptoms, please stay home.
- If you have accrued PTO, you can use it for this purpose. Note that if you show up to work with symptoms, you will be asked to go home.
- Increase the frequency of washing your hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 80% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or couch/sneeze into your elbow.
- Please ask before hugging, shaking hands, or other close contact with other staff or clients unless you are certain the other person is okay with it.
- Please don’t share food or drinks.
Front Desk Staff :
- Be alert and aware of customers or staff who appear sick.
- If a staff member appears sick, send them home.
- If a customer appears sick, escalate to a manager to evaluate the situation.
- It may be preferable to try to reschedule the customer if possible.
- Disinfect the following shared hard surfaces hourly throughout the day: Doorknobs; Light switches; Cabinet handles; Faucet handles; Toilet handles; Fridge doors; Washer/dryer buttons; Telephone handsets; Any other surface you identify as being touched by multiple people.
- Spray the elevator lobby and client sitting area frequently with Lysol spay.
Skincare and Massage Therapists / Apprentices/Assistants:
- Disinfect the following shared hard surfaces before the start of day, after end of day, and between clients: Spa Bed, pillows, sheets, towels and any other surface in your room that clients touch.
- Disinfect and any machines, devices or tools you share with other technicians before using them,.
- Disinfect any items shared between clients in Barbicide, including extraction tools, Microdermabrasion / Hydrodermabrasion / Cryo machines, wands and tips, etc…..use sterilizers.
- Our Spa has 8 sterilizers, one sterilizer in each room and one spare.
- It is mandatory that all Technicians to wear “ SpectraShield™ Defender and Protector Masks With Advanced Anti-Microbial Technology” while performing any skincare treatment on a Client.
- Skincare Lounge Spa knows how important our workplace is to our business.
- We also know that quality cleaning matters whether we’re concerned about the appearance of our workplace, the impact of poor cleaning on worker productivity, or how hygiene affects our guests and staff’s health and safety. We understand all of these concerns, which is why we’re committed to a higher grade of clean.
- We have asked our Janitors to spend an extra hour to use our new disinfecting system, “the antimicrobial system” that adds another layer of defense by continuing to eliminate germs for up to 6 months or more between applications.Its active ingredient has the highest EPA rating as well, so it’s also safe for our guests and environment.
- Currently we have disinfecting wipes, Lysol and Alcohol 99 % available for disinfecting hard surfaces which are effective against Coronavirus. In a few days we will receive a bulk supply of new disinfectant wipes from Zogics containing .28% Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. That active ingredient has also been shown to be effective against coronaviruses in concentrations above 0.05%.
Leadership is once again picking up extra hours in all areas of the business,
particularly in Guest Services.
We will continue to update you on any additional guidelines from the CDC and other government agencies, as they relate to our business. In the meantime, please stay safe and thank you, for your patronage.”
Anthony J Guerrera , owner of the Skincare Lounge SPA in Philadelphia